Photo Show from the Old Days

Photo Show from the Old Days
90's

Rolling on a Historical Drumcircle

Rolling on a Historical Drumcircle
Pic by Karl Wenn

Saturday, May 5, 2007

The last 2 days of a drummers life............


Don’t have to go far to be around about 3000 people today. All I have to do is go across the street to the Exeter brewfest The band is like 200 yards from right here. Tickets are 30 bucks, so I’ll just sit tight here and check it all out.
I got the tipi poles down from Three Rivers, my truck looking like some vehicle from the grapes of wrath movie staring Henry Fonda. It was rickety and rockity, but I made it and no tickets, and no mess on the road. Friday morning, 6am, and went to the school where I set the tipi up in the baseball field in a weeping rain. I was amped to pull the project off so it didn’t matter what happened right then. Finally, as all the kids started arriving in the school yards the buzz word was “Tipi”. I could see them all at the basketball courts and the lawns and the kickball fields looking at the tipi and wondering when they were gonna go inside and check it all out. I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2 liners of the Bull painting and the Bulls running painting wrapped inside the tipi cover. I used them on the inside and they made for a nice feel of “primitive”
Inside the class I had a slide show and all of my dance outfits from the past, a super native American show and tell!!
7 classes of 30 fourth graders each at 45 minutes a pop. I was hoarse by the end of the day, but now I totally understand the feeling of accomplishment had by the teachers of children! The peering wondering eyes, the questions I didn’t think off and the enthusiasium for the Tipi! I preached the environment of course, and they took it all in when pictures of rattle snakes came on the slide screen.Every class of 30 kids each ended with all of us going inside the tipi, where I handed out arrowhead necklaces to all, provided by the school, which was very cool!! I felt good when I finished packing up the tipi and heading home. Then, it was off to Auberry to drum!
Auberry, chilly and lots of drummers, some we knew and some we didn’t. Together with Wil, and Jon and Paul, we stood next to Chuck and kicked out some grooves to warm things up and get it all going in a direction. We gave hearty hugs to Angie for her birthday, and Linda, Chuck and I stopped at Crispy Crème on the way home for some sugie and coffee………..a tradition of sorts. So, there it is , Sunday night drumming is coming up, so make plans please to come up and get warmed around the fire and play some drums!………………

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way cool....we learn of yet another dimension to Rene'......
So great of you to take the time and energy to share your path....would like to have seen and heard also................dances and costumes! bringing brownies tonight....the red fanta