Photo Show from the Old Days

Photo Show from the Old Days
90's

Rolling on a Historical Drumcircle

Rolling on a Historical Drumcircle
Pic by Karl Wenn

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Saturday Nights Big Event.................

I knew it was big when, after circling the block several times, I finally got a place close to next door from the gallery. The school lot was full and cars were parked on both sides of the street from the noisy water to the chevron. It looked like an ant farm. People were around all the doors, and there was a band playing inside, where the Black Light art could be seen shimmering from the walls. I took the back way in and looked through all the people for a face I knew. The drum circle was also full of people dancing around the fire and twirling fire to a loose groove of dumbeks and bongos, by faces unfamiliar. The place was packed! I could say 300 people, but 200 would be close! I socialized and met new people. Talked to the familiar faces and looked towards our drumming grounds with much anticipation. I felt like when I was a kid and had just arrived at the beach. I could smell the seaweed and hear the ocean. I needed to feel the warm sand between my toes. I got my drum and went down with some others. It was our turn and we knew we needed to play a performance on this special night. It was great, I got real sweaty, Paul played his big conga groove, Gary played his flute, Maharupa joined in with flute and guitar and Summer surprised us with Drumming and Dance! We got a big samba beat going to a crowd now 4 rows deep and watching us. Petit brought out her fire swinging poi and showed who the master twirler was. Everyone was stamping their feet to the beat, the dance was on, the crowd gave raving applause to all said and done. In the end we were baptized in glow stick juice as the rain started falling down, bringing in the new day. History was made and I hope you didn’t miss it. Of course we’ll try again tonight…….though it might be just alittle different…. see you there……………..
PS……Thanks to all who came and supported the fabulous Art Show last night!!!!!!!!!

No comments: